About The Hayes Initiative
The Hayes Initiative (THI) is an award-winning, certified LGBTQ-owned and operated public affairs firm helping organizations, C-suite leaders, and candidates advance their mission. The firm was recently recognized as 2022’s Public Relations Agency of the Year by the American Business Awards (Stevie® Award) & a 2022 finalist for “Best Boutique Agency” by PR Week, as well as receiving an honorable mention for “Best in Public Affairs” in 2021.
THI focuses on three expertise: communications, government relations, and stakeholder management.
At THI, we help leaders and organizations deliver major initiatives, break through the noisy media landscape, and navigate the world of politics and government. We excel with high pressure, politically sensitive, and confidential issues while demonstrating discretion and judgment. We are proud of our work in the advocacy space and our efforts to help organizations realize inclusivity at all levels of their work.
Role summary, Government Relations Associate
The Government Relations Associate must have 2-3+ years of work experience in Government Relations with proven and existing relationships at both the NYC or NYS levels. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment and is enthusiastic about growing in this position. They must be able to prioritize and manage their time while handling multiple projects simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail.
Candidates must be able to work collaboratively with the firm’s leadership and staff to promote a respectful and inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork. In addition, they must be respectful of the perspectives of others and possess sound judgment. The perfect candidate is a fast learner who possesses excellent verbal and written communications skills, interpersonal skills, and has a strong interest in New York City, state & federal government, and politics. Candidates with experience working and/or interning in the office of an elected official or a political campaign are highly preferred.
You will join a small but fast-growing team and manage daily client deliverables around media, communications, government relations, and community relations. The AE’s primary responsibility will be producing and managing deliverables for the firm’s clients.
The ideal candidate will have experience with large-scale initiatives/ projects/ announcements/ events that have a government and/or community relations overlay.
- Outreach and liaising with public and elected officials, community stakeholders, and government agencies
- Developing professional working relationships with government and elected officials and staff
- Regularly attend/view committee hearings, monitoring legislation and public policy issues.
- Researching, writing strategy memos, briefing papers, and policy background research memos for clients
- Attending some annual legislative conferences and networking events to staff clients as well as supporting THI senior leadership
- Monitoring current events and news daily, with a focus on tracking news of relevance to our clients
- Crafting messaging, talking points, and related materials tailored to target audiences
- Analyzing and synthesizing legislation and policy at the federal, state, and local levels;
- 2-3+ years of government relations experience required (please do not apply if you have not worked in government relations. This is mandatory.)
- Must have a positive attitude and the ability to work flexibly and collaboratively in a virtual work environment.
- Able to synthesize information into a concise format
- Able to take verbal direction quickly and accurately
- Be news savvy and up-to-date on current events with a strong news sense and knowledge of the media, particularly around creating hooks to land stories.
- Multi-tasks easily, can handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly, and meets deadlines in a fast-paced environment while paying close attention to details.
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Technically fluent with tools such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Understands organizing and advocacy communications, including social media campaigning and local, state, or national politics
- Understanding the political landscape in New York City and the State
- The Hayes Initiative requires a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, subject to an exception under applicable law.
Working at The Hayes Initiative
The Hayes Initiative will make sure that you have what you need to excel in your role, including:
- A positive, supportive, and collaborative team with opportunities for advancement and commitment to helping all staff learn and grow
- A competitive salary based on leading market rates
- 100% coverage of Health, Dental, and Vision insurance monthly premiums
- 401K provided with a match program. The program has a tiered match up to 3.50% from the employer. To maximize the matching program, the employee must contribute 6% of their salary.
- Generous paid time off in which we encourage staff to take sufficient time for self-care
- Paid time off for all bank holidays.
- In addition, THI closesannually during the week of the July 4th holiday and the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We aim to be totally off during these times, but all employees agree that we may have client obligations during these dates.
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
How to apply
Please submit your resume to [email protected], with the subject line “Government Relations Associate,” and please reference where you found the job (LinkedIn, City & State, Friend, etc.).