About BxCM: Bronx Children’s Museum is a new kind of multicultural, Bronx-inspired children’s museum operating “with and without walls” geared to those from infancy through fourth grade. The Museum engages 16,000 children and their caregivers/families annually with programming in schools and after school, at community-based organizations, shelters, libraries, local festivals and parks. BxCM just opened the first children’s museum facility in the history of the Bronx, a 13,000 sq. ft. space in a historic, City-owned building located in a park in the South Bronx. The Museum views outreach programs as complementary to and an extension of those in the building, and vice versa. Check out our website to see our space!
About the Job: We are looking for an experienced and passionate Visitor Services & Public Engagement Manager who will ensure that all visitors, whether on-site, off-site, or virtual, are met with an inviting and dynamic first impression of the organization and leave equipped to engage more deeply with our Museum with and without walls.
Benefits offered for the Visitor Services & Public Engagement position at BxCM:
- Competitive salary of $60,000 to $65,000 annually
- Full time position – 5 day work week – Tuesday to Saturday (**Additional hours may be necessary in order to meet the job requirements; this could include evening hours, weekend work and special event coverage)
- Eligible to participate in Health Insurance (Medical/Dental)
- Generous Paid Time Off Policy
- Company Paid Holidays
- 403(b) Retirement Savings plan with Employer Matching after a year of employment
Position Description & Requirements: The Visitor Services & Public Engagement Manager areas of key responsibilities include Public Engagement, Point-of-Sale (POS) Management and Administration. Overall responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee admissions operations and manage all logistical matters related to the on-site visitor experience (including online, phone, and on-site ticket sales, coat check, group check-in and orientation, membership sales, birthday parties and space rentals)
- Serve as the first point of contact for any visitor experience challenges, complaints, issues, or questions.
- Take appropriate action where necessary regarding access or safety issues in the museum including notifying the Deputy Director of Finance & Operations and Director of Education & Public Engagement
- Inspect and monitor (“walk the floor”) of the museum’s facilities and exhibits to ensure that the facilities are in good condition and that visitors are properly served.
- Work with Marketing and Development to plan and implement special ticketing, memberships, and events aimed at increasing attendance
- Manage an active training and multilingual communication system for floor staff to stay informed and updated on current and upcoming programs, events and other on-site and outreach activities
- Ensure accessibility across the public engagement spectrum for visitors with diverse interests, abilities, and needs.
Point-of-Sale (POS) management
- Serve as the System Administrator for the Point-of-Sale (POS) system (Altru) including developing, implementing and maintaining procedures for the admission ticketing system.
- Maintain constituent record, enter group sales for school programs and advance/online sales for public programs; process and maintain memberships
- Manage daily admissions (ticketing) and generate daily reports
- Generate and reconcile admissions revenue reports with Education, Finance and Development departments.
- Oversee opening and closing procedures, cash out reports, drawer reconciliations with the Finance Manager, and generate daily reports.
- With the Deputy Director of Arts & Exhibits, monitor programs and props inventory and coordinate procurement as needed
- Understands and implements operational policies and procedures around the visitor service/public engagement experience (i.e. safety and emergency procedures)
- Act as a liaison between administrative staff and floor staff.
We hope you:
- Have a bachelor’s degree, and three to five years’ experience in museum environment or customer service setting required
- Are proficient in Spanish (verbal and written)
- Have strong computer skills (Google Workplace knowledge a must)
- Have 3-5 years experience in cash handling/sales and working in a public-facing position
- Are knowledgeable about point of sale or database software (Altru or other Blackbaud products preferred)
- Have the ability to exercise composure and diplomacy at all times; demonstrate creative problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Can demonstrate an understanding of protocol and sensitivity to cultural diversity needs
- Are organized and very detail-oriented
- Are a self-starter and function well both independently and as part of teams
- Possess a connection and familiarity with the Bronx
We recognize that it is highly unlikely that someone will meet 100% of the qualifications for each role. If much of a job description applies to you, then please apply for the role.
The health and safety of our Museum community is the highest priority. As such, the Bronx Children’s Museum is requiring all staff members to be fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment. Requests for reasonable accommodations for medical, religious, or other reasons will be considered in accordance with applicable law.
Bronx Children’s Museum is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity or expression), disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates, especially members of all underrepresented groups, to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
Alternate forms of the above items will be considered, including video resumes, visual cover letters, or other ways of expressing your qualifications and interest.
If you require specific accommodations to complete your application, please contact the Human Resource Department at [email protected].